Forums

Home Forums Parental Control Simple Parental Schedule Control Not Working

Simple Parental Schedule Control Not Working

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    zukyun
    Participant

I bought the pcWRT thinking to set up a simple schedule control for my 2 boys to make sure they didn’t stay up all night with their video games on Steam and maybe do something a bit more sophisticated (blocking certain sites during certain parts of the day) later. Unfortunately, I’m not able to get the simple Internet on/off schedule control working.

In order to set up and implement schedules for the kids, I have to check the “Enable Parental Control” checkbox in their profiles. But when I do that, their games immediately stop working.

As long as I leave the box unchecked, they can connect to and play their games. But the scheduling won’t work if the box is unchecked.

I’ve tried checking “Enable Parental Control” and then unchecking “Safe Search”, “Block literal IP addresses”, and “Block proxy, VPN, TOR” without success.

I’ve tried checking “Enable Parental Control” and using the UPNP app to allow ports 1024 through 65535. That didn’t work either.

I’m at a loss. And without ANY documentation for this router (there really should be a 30 page printed manual or PDF to go with this product given all the features and configuration options available), I can’t go any further. If I can’t get this to work, I’m going to have to send the router back.

The router has the latest firmware installed. And by the way, there’s no way to find the current firmware version through the web interface for the router. However, a firmware update check says I have the latest version and that my previous version was v1.22.2.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by zukyun. Reason: Added firmware version information
    support
    Keymaster

The firmware version is displayed at the bottom of the page when you log on the management console.

If gaming works without UPnP when parental control is turned off, then there’s no need to enable it.

In your case, I’d suggest two steps:

1. Enable parental control for the profile. Turn off other options such as block literal ip address, proxy, etc. Delete any calendars if you have them in the profile.
    2. Add a calendar with empty sites. Add time allocations. The time slots you enter are allowed ranges, not prohibited ranges.

If step 1 works, then try step 2. Let us know how that works. Thanks!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.