Forums

Home Forums General Configuration Dropping connections

Dropping connections

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sjado
    Participant

Hello,

I work from home so I rely on my internet heavily. Over the last few days with the new firmware upgrade, the router is dropping the connection a LOT. This isnt just wireless, it drops it for direct Ethernet access as well. It seems to be a little hitch as it comes back maybe 1 minute later. Is there any troubleshooting I can do before I’m forced to go and buy a different router all together?

support
    Keymaster

@Sjado It is very unlikely that the upgrade would introduce stability issues. If you enabled UPnP, it could be that UPnP was interfering with your connection. You might want to disable UPnP and see if that makes any difference.

Also, when you say a LOT, how often is that?

Sjado
    Participant

Hello,

UPnP wasnt enabled during this time. It happened 3x during the day in a range of 4hours. I made sure it wasn’t the cable modem. My wife was on wifi and I’ve been on an ethernet connection. All my devices (laptop, desktop and her laptop) just got booted off the internet connection. I can only conclude that this was due to the router. Are there any log files I can provide from the time-frame yesterday?

support
    Keymaster

When your devices were booted off the Internet, were you getting timeout and a blank page in your browser? Or was something else happening?

You can’t get logs from the router management console. But you can use ssh to log in the router command line interface and use the ‘logread’ command to see the router logs. If you are comfortable doing that, you can send the output of logread to [email protected], and we’ll review it.

Just out of curiosity, how did you rule out the cable modem?

Sjado
    Participant

The modem sits next to my router and is in eye sight of my desk in my office.
    After logging into the router and dumping the log, it seems it doesnt keep logs from previous days. It only showed the log of today. Is there another way to retrieve logs from the previous days?

When it booted everyone off the router connections – I was unable to ping any server (by IP nor name (and I run my own DNS on my network with pi-hole)). I dont recall opening a website as I was in the middle of a work-meeting.

BTW – you guys sure like juice huh? 😉

support
    Keymaster

The router only keeps current logs. For now, our suggestion is to keep an eye on it and see if that happens again. When it happens again, you can do one of the following to further isolate the cause:

1. Connect your PC directly to the cable modem and see if Internet is restored.
    2. Reboot the cable modem and see if that helps.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.