Forums

Home Forums Device Setup (printers, IP phones etc.) Honeywell WiFi Thermostat

Honeywell WiFi Thermostat

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    support
    Keymaster

We sent you an updated config archive file. Please give it a try. Thanks!

abe
    Participant

Good morning. I finally got back to this. I took the following steps.
    1) Remove the Netgear. Re-connected PCWRT.
    2) Used Restore to install the updated config file.
    3) Turned off Parental Controls entirely.

I rebooted the router. But, I don’t think the DNS server function was working as I could not get any data anywhere on any of the connected devices, wired or wireless.

I removed pcwrt and reconnected Netgear, and I have data back again. DNS working. So it’s not the modem.

Am I missing something?
    thanks.

support
    Keymaster

At this point, the safest bet is probably to reset the router and start afresh. For testing purposes, you don’t have to replace the NETGEAR, simply connect the pcWRT WAN to a NETGEAR LAN port. You should be able to get Internet connectivity via the pcWRT this way.

Follow these steps to reset the router:
    1. Disconnect all cables (LAN, WAN, power cord). Router should be off. Keep it off for at least 30 seconds.
    2. Connect ONLY the power cable. Wait for about 2 minutes. Which lights are on? Solid or blinking? I’m expecting that SYS should be on (solid). WAN should not be on since no cable is connected.
    3. Use a pin or pen tip, press and hold the WPS/Reset button for 10 seconds, then release.
    4. Wait for about 20 seconds. All LEDs should flash once at the same time, and the router should reboot. After the router reboots, SYS and WLAN LEDs should be on (solid).
    5. Connect the pcWRT WAN port to a LAN port on the NETGEAR.
    6. Connect a device to the pcWRT WiFi or LAN. Open a browser and load http://192.168.10.1. You should see the initial setup pages.
    7. After initial setup, you should be able to connect to the Internet via the device connected to the pcWRT.

Please let us know if you can successfully get to step 7. We’ll move forward from there if your answer is positive.

P.S. in steps 2-4 above, do not disconnect the power cable.

Thanks!

abe
    Participant

Just to check in, I’ve not had time to do any more work on this yet. I’m not giving up, but I want to make sure that my right to get warranty service or return service are not affected, should it come to that. Not that I want it to. Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

@abe Thanks for your patience! We are positive that we can work this out. If it turns out that there are bugs in our firmware, we’ll fix them. And yes, you have the right to return if it doesn’t work.

abe
    Participant

Hello, I’m back with some time to work on this.
    1/2. Red SYS light is on solid. Green WLAN light is also on solid. (Power cord is only thing connected. It is possible that some devices are remembering the WLAN login info that they had from last time I had it plugged in. Or, it sounds like a reset had already been performed by me when I last was trying to fix it a month ago.)
    3/4. After doing this, the red SYS light flashed rapidly and continuously for longer than 20 seconds. After typing this, I started a stopwatch and let it run for more than 2 minutes longer. The red light flashed continuously and never did anything else. So, I’m going to repeat steps 3/4 again.
    3/4 repeat. Pushing the reset button for 20 seconds does nothing. Red SYS flashes continously. So I’ll repeat 1/2. I left the router unplugged for 2 minutes, for good measure.
    1/2 again. Device lights up with all lights except NET and WLAN briefly, then only SYS, then WLAN joins it again. Same as first time. Continuous red SYS and green WLAN. Waiting 4 minutes.
    3/4 again. Same thing, all lights except NET and WLAN flash friefly, then SYS flashes rapid red, and stays rapid red…. presumably indefinitely.

At this point, let me know what to do next please!!! I cannot get solid red and solid green after step 3/4.

abe
    Participant

I tried the steps again. after a few seconds, no lights come on at all. I’ll be honest. I think this is a defective unit, and I’d like a new one!
    Do you have my info from registration, or how should we proceed? Thank you.

support
    Keymaster

@abe Sorry about that. Please send email to [email protected]. We’ll take care of it.

abe
    Participant

Hello. Jumping back to “reply 754” you asked me to take the following steps.

Let’s take one thing at a time, the phone first.
    1. Connect the phone to pcWRT, with parental control disabled for the router (i.e., default factory setting). Are you able to use the phone?

YES.

2. If above is yes, enable parental control for the router. Create a profile and put the phone in the profile. Disable parental control for the profile. Are you able to use the phone?

YES! Yes! This is good news, a little step forward.

3. If above is yes, enable parental control for the profile, uncheck the two checkboxes I mentioned before. Are you able to use the phone?

NO.

Going back to post 748, here is the info I found from Republic Wireless about what ports need to be open. Is there a way to whitelist or open these ports and IPs?

Your Router or ISP must not block outbound traffic (from your phone) destined to the following ports
    5090 UDP for call set up
    6000-29999 UDP for audio
    8883 TCP MQQT (used for Voicemail – MMS – SMS)
    While other apps may use other ports. VoIP for our service uses 5090 and 16384 through 16402. That should be all that is needed to support voice.
    5090 is for the SIP Signalling to setup and manage the call. and the ports 16384 through 16402 hold the actual audio. All of these ports are UDP not TCP.

Any ideas? Thanks!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by abe. Reason: Had wrong information posted, wrong answers to the questions!
    abe
    Participant

OK New info here. My son got a new phone. My younger kids still have the original phone. My posting above applies to the old phone, the Republic Wireless Moto G. WIth parental controls enabled, it does not access Republic Wireless.

However: the new Moto G4 Republic Wireless phone, on a different profile, CAN access Republic Wireless with Parental Controls enabled and the two boxes unchecked. Hmmmm……

abe
    Participant

Good morning. I tested again and confirmed that when parental controls is enabled for the specific user profile, the MotoG phone does not connect. But the newer G4 phone works even when parental controls is enabled for its user profile. Thanks.

abe
    Participant

Great news. I got the wifi T-stat connected. I turned off parental controls for that profile, and it works. Phew! We just need to figure out the MotoG phone and we are all connected.

However, I did try to disconnect the Netgear router and plug the pcwrt directly into the Charter Spectrum cable modem, and I didn’t get internet. I assume that something needs to be done to make the pcwrt act as a DNS or some such thing? I do not remember doing any setup to make the pcwrt be secondary behind the netgear though. Can you guide me?

So I guess that’s 2 things to address. THanks!

abe
    Participant

OK great. Even more progress. I found a thread on Republic Wireless. https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/29485
    I followed the instruction to re-register the phone by opening the Android dialpad and entering * # * # VoIP # * # *
    and now it works with parental controls enabled for the profile of the kids phone!

Now just help me on the router connecting directly to the modem, and putting the netgear router in line behind the pcwrt please!

support
    Keymaster

Great! In theory, you should have Internet by simply plugging in the pcWRT router to your cable modem.

If there is no Internet, try recycling the cable modem, as described here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11971.

If that doesn’t help, you can try cloning the MAC address of your NETGEAR to the pcWRT (on
    the Internet page).

abe
    Participant

Great, thanks! I cycled the cable modem, that didn’t do it, so I cycled it again and then rebooted the pcwrt. Now it’s working. Everything is working! Wow! This is great. Thanks for your help on all these issues; it’s been an interesting run of issues. I think a lot of the problems originated with the first router being somehow defective. TTYL, hopefully I won’t need to though.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.