Forums

Home Forums Parental Control limit youtube for certain time

limit youtube for certain time

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gangwang
    Participant

i followed your note. manage the network like pro
    I set up three calanders.exact like in note:such as one for youtube, everyday, from 6pm to 7pm. internet: 7am to 11pm. school 12Am to 12 am.
    however, I found that other than 6pm to 7pm, i can’t access youtube. however, if I am on youtube, I can still access it beyond 7pm. it seems a bug for me.

on the hand, I saw in one post, your support said it is hard to limit time for specfic website.facebook. I am confused…

what is correct? is it a bug? thansk

support
    Keymaster

If you create a Calendar for YouTube for the time range 6:00pm – 7:00pm, then YouTube will only be available during that time range. If you are watching a YouTube video before 7:00pm, then you’ll be able to watch the video past 7:00pm, for a few more minutes. That is because of content buffering on the device. The video will be stopped after the buffered contents are exhausted.

What you can do with the router is you can set a schedule with the Calendar tool. What’s hard to do is to limit the total time on a web site without a schedule. Because of background network activities, it is hard to figure out exactly how long a user has been active on a certain web site. Therefore, the router does not support setting a total time limit for a web site without creating a schedule.

gangwang
    Participant

i got it now. now i have three clanders, one for youtube, every work day from 5:30PM to 7:00 PM. a general internet which i didn’t specify for any webside ( leave it blank), from 8am to 11PM. while school homework website available almost 24 hours. however, i do see my teen still can access youtube at 8pm and 9 pm. on the other hand, I can’t access youtube on my computer after 7:00PM. I thought it may have a bug on the general clander, if you are on youtube, you can keep access it even after the time limit…I have not not really verify it yet. I would suggest in clander, you have allow website, why not add a block website just like the profile. you have allow and block…

support
    Keymaster

@gangwang If your device and kid’s device are in the same profile, and you can’t access YouTube, he shouldn’t be able to either. If you see him accessing YouTube while you can’t, he’s probably using some technique to bypass the control. He might be using a proxy or VPN. To find out what’s happening, click on the “View Logs” link on the Access Control page. See what sites had been accessed from his device.

gangwang
    Participant

two points.

I checked ” block proxy or VPN” on the profile
    the internet calender works all the time. when it reaches limit, I know he mentions it. what else I missed?

support
    Keymaster

@gangwang Not exactly sure what you meant. You checked “Block VPN…”, defined a YouTube calendar, but the YouTube calendar didn’t stop YouTube until the time for your default Internet calendar is reached?

Did you check the Internet logs and see what sites were visited during the time YouTube is blocked?

gangwang
    Participant

I found out that on his computer, setupVPN was installed as chrome extention. so when it is used, I can access youtube. even I checked the block Block proxy, VPN, TOR, the VPN still can make the connection and bypass the calendar that limit the time for youtube.
    I checked the logs ang found out dyn-217-64-127-91-b283.diltwo.com. looks like it is a vpn connection.

support
    Keymaster

@gangwang You can block this VPN by adding diltwo.com to the Black List. A lot of VPNs/Proxies are blocked by OpenDNS. But in case a VPN is not blocked, you can add the domain to the Black List.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.