Forums

Home Forums Announcements pcWRT now available on dual band gigabit router

pcWRT now available on dual band gigabit router

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    support
    Keymaster

@Transversal The new hardware will be a dual band AC router with 1200Mbps combined WiFi throughput. It will be less expensive than the Archer C7. We’ll enter the testing stage soon, which will determine when we can make this available. While we want to get it out of the door ASAP, we also want to make sure that we don’t release it prematurely. Thanks!

skydogtookmycash
    Participant

Will the new hardware offer any advantage over the Archer C7, other than lower cost? Conversely, does the Archer C7 have any hardware advantage over the newer version coming out?

If I choose to get the Archer C7 now (instead of waiting for the new hardware), will the C7 continue to get equally good support compared to the new hardware, or might the C7 sort of die on the vine in terms of firmware updates? I’m kind of wondering if the C7 might be a better choice than new custom hardware because the C7 is well established. And any problems with using a WiFi range extender with a pcWRT based router?

Also let me ask, are you getting enough subscribers to reach critical mass to sustain service over the long haul? Not too many reviews on Amazon for the pcWRT Archer C7 router, so it had me wondering. I could imagine, after all the hard work your team puts into this, and the scarcity of good options out there, you might wonder why more families aren’t flocking to your solution. (if that’s the case, please don’t get discouraged) I was looking earlier, but got distracted. My skydog expires fairly soon, and there are some good holiday specials going on now on standard routers, has me looking again. Thanks !

jgindin
    Participant

As with @skydogtookmycash, my skydog is expiring soonish and I need to find a new option. Can you provide some guidance on possible release dates for the new hardware?

thanks,

jay

support
    Keymaster

@skydogtookmycash The new hardware will be about the same as the C7, though the combined WiFi throughput is lower. The advantage for the C7 is it’s established hardware. The advantage for the new hardware is that we have more control. But we will continue to support the C7 with updates nonetheless.

The pcWRT router has been successfully used with WiFi extenders by many users. So far we haven’t heard any report of incompatibilities.

@jgindin
    We’ll try our best to make it available before the end of the year. It definitely will be available 1Q next year.

jgindin
    Participant

Are there new features along with the new hardware? Looking over the demo, there’s a few things that I feel are truly missing:

• Bandwidth usage reports. Especially by user and by device. Should be able to click on a user and then see how their devices are responsible for the bandwidth usage;
    • Notification of new devices connecting to the network
    • Notification of network connectivity issues
    • Site “monitoring” — What sites and (estimate of) how much time each user spent at a given site
    • Nice to have: Integrated speed tests with notification of results

Does the “Block proxy, VPN, TOR” setting imply blocking access to annonymizer web sites?

Also, does the new hardware allow the configuration of a separate guest network? If so, can you have a profile for unassigned devices which connect to the guest network which is different than unassigned devices connecting to the “primary” network?

Thanks,

Jay

support
    Keymaster

@jgindin Thanks for the suggestions. The new hardware will have features that are currently available. But we’ll add new features as we have the resources to do so. Site monitoring is the next priority that we’ll be working on.

“Block proxy, VPN, TOR” actually blocks the protocols. Blocking access to anonymizing sites can be accomplished by OpenDNS.

Guest network function is available now. The demo is not up-to-date on that. Parental control works the same for the same device, either through the guest network or the main network. However the two networks are separated, i.e., devices connected to the guest network cannot talk to devices connected to the main network.

rjager
    Participant

i’m looking at cleanrouter vs. pcWRT and i would like to purchase something soon. when can we expect a new device? i would like to connect to my existing airport express b/c we stream music through it in our home. please advise.

-ron

support
    Keymaster

@rjager You don’t need to wait for our new hardware. The current 300 Mbps TORONTO-N model will satisfy your needs. Here’s our suggestion:

1. Connect the devices like this:
      Airplay Express -> pcWRT router -> Internet (modem).
      I.e., connect the Airplay Express WAN port to a LAN port on the pcWRT, then connect the pcWRT WAN port to the modem.
    2. Turn off WiFi on the pcWRT (do that in the Wireless Settings page).
    3. Configure the Airplay Express as an Access Point by following the steps outlined here: http://www.all4you-sprl.be/configuring-an-apple-airport-express-as-an-access-point-of-an-existing-network/

With this setup, all your devices still connect to the Airport Express. But you can apply parental controls to the devices via the pcWRT router. You should be able to see these devices when you log on to the pcWRT management console.

rjager
    Participant

Can u point me towards the logging capabilities -where are they stored, format and does it break it down per device?

support
    Keymaster

@rjager Logging does not exist at this point. This is being worked on currently and is expected to be available 1Q next year. The current workaround is to use OpenDNS Home logging reports, which is viewable on OpenDNS website. The OpenDNS report is for your home network as a whole. But you can configure pcWRT so that parents use a different DNS provider, effectively making OpenDNS report on all kids devices.

CaptainDad
    Participant

This really looks like the great parental control solution. Do you have any news about the upcoming AC1200 router with Gigabit? I hope to replace my ASUS RT-AC87U with it. Can you share any other specs about it?

support
    Keymaster

@CaptainDad Hardware specifics are being worked on at this moment. It will have 4 antennas, 2 for 2.4GHz band with 300Mbps throughput, and 2 for 5.0GHz band with 900Mbps throughput. At the minimum, it will have 16MB flash and 128MB RAM.

ConcernedMom
    Participant

Duplicate post. Wish to delete.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by ConcernedMom. Reason: Duplicate Post in Error
    ConcernedMom
    Participant

Any ETA for the new router? Amazon is showing “Currently Unavailable” for https://www.amazon.com/Archer-C7-pcWRT-SafeSearch-Management/dp/B01GLOKHAG/.

support
    Keymaster

@ConcernedMom We should have replenishment in a couple of weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Announcements’ is closed to new topics and replies.