Forums

Home Forums Troubleshooting 2.4 GHz works, but confusing observations in Wifi Analyzer

2.4 GHz works, but confusing observations in Wifi Analyzer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sherlock
    Participant

While reviewing the 2.4 GHz Wifi in Wifi Analyzer (both PC and Android versions) the wifi network has some confusing behavior

Config: Channel set to 8, bandwidth set to 20, no KRACK

1) The 2.4 GHz SSID does not appear as one of the networks. Channel 8 appears empty on windows and android devices, but both are successfully connected to the 2.4 GHz SSID which is configured to channel 8

2a) On windows, when reviewing the current connection in the analyzer, the SSID is correct but the channel switches between channel 8 (802.11n protocol) and channel 157 (802.22ac protocol).
    2b) On Android, when reviewing the current connection in the analyzer, the SSID for current connection is correct with message “not connected”

3) On Android, when switching on Wifi the the 2.4 GHz SSID is not displayed on the available networks. However, the device will connect to it

Any ideas whart might cause this behavior?

support
    Keymaster

Which WiFi analyzer are you using? We’ll try to see if we can repeat your observations.

The 2.4GHz band hardware can’t produce 5GHz signal. I wonder if you disable the 5GHz band would you still be able to observe 2a?

Sherlock
    Participant

I disabled 5GHZ. No difference

I am once again seeing a performance issue on 2.4 GHz. It did not show up using the speed test at https://www.speedtest.net/, so I had closed the original performance. However, it does clearly show up when downloading large files. at 2.4 GHz, transfer speed varies between 356 kb/s and 1.6 MB/s. when I pause transfer and switch to 5GHz speed increases to between 14 and 16 MB/s. Not sure if I should reopen other thread or just show it here…

I am using 3 wifi analyzers, each with slightly different behavior

-> On Windows 10 I am using the Wifi Analyzer from the Windows store written by Matt Hafler. I sent a query to him to see if he had seen this before. Behaviour is as described above.

On Android phone I am using the Wifi Analyzer from the Play store by Kevin Yuan. 2.4GHz SSID does not show up on networks, but when I show the meter for the connected network it usually shows no signal, but occasionally kicks into high signal for short periods (between 10 – 30 seconds).

On Android Tablet I am using the Wifi Analyzer from the Playstore by AdbdelRahman M Sid. It usually shows the SSID on channel 8 , but occasionally the graph for the 2.4 GHz SSID disappears

There does not appear to be a correlation between the three analyzer tools. The periods when the phone shows a signal for the 2.4GHz SSID do not show up differently on the table or Windows tablet.

I can record screen, but cant see anywhere here to upload file.not sure how to share it

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Sherlock.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.