Forums

Home Forums General Configuration Allow specific VPN

Allow specific VPN

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tcannon777
    Participant

Currently, I have the option checked to Block Tor, VPN, etc.. The issue is I need to allow my work VPN which uses Checkpoint software. I have added the URL I use to access the VPN in the Whitelist option, but it still doesn’t appear to load websites correctly when I am connected to the VPN. Any suggestions or ideas?

support
    Keymaster

If your workstation is used by you alone, then you can create a new profile, disable parental control for that profile, and add your workstation to the new profile.

tcannon777
    Participant

It is actually a shared computer so that will not really work. Is there a reason why the whitelist option isn’t working?

support
    Keymaster

@tcannon777 Can you run “ipconfig /all” from a command line window and send the output to [email protected]?

petestav
    Participant

Hi, I have the same issue. Our daughters school is forcing us to use a VPN for all devices. When I schedule open internet time the vpn on her IOS devices works fine, but as soon as I move to a scheduled whitelist to block all sites other than school work, the VPN fails to connect. I have unchecked the block proxy setting, and I have entered the 3 IP addresses for the VPN service. The actual VPN service is from a provider called “Family Zone” with their own IOS app. Family Zone have asked me to enable all ports on these 3x IP addresses but all I have done is add the IP addresses to the permitted sites in both the schedule and also in the central whitelist. What else do I need to do and what can I ask Family Zone to provide to make the VPN get through the routers whitelist and schedule tool please?

support
    Keymaster

@petestav Since these devices force VPN, there’s no need to block any extra domains on the pcWRT router. But you can set time limits with a calendar. Just add a single calendar with an empty domains list. Put in the allowed time slots.

Because of the forced VPN, those devices will only connect to the domains requested by the VPN client (from the router perspective). You can verify that by looking at the Internet logs on the pcWRT router.

petestav
    Participant

Hi Support. I already have a calendar with empty records and the VPN works fine when in tjisnscheduled time, it does not work when I am running a white list time. I need the whitelist time to shutdown the general internet to do homework, and at homework time to allow all the school websites and the VPN at the same time. I use the VPN at all times but the Family Zone App provides protection but does not shutdown the general internet.

How can I run a scheduled time when I use both a white list to block the general internet and also still allow the VPN through, as your comment thatbthe VPN pushes through is false in this circumstance.

support
    Keymaster

@petestav For a device with the forced VPN, the router only sees that it is connected to the VPN. The router does not know which websites the device is visiting through the VPN. For example, if you open Google on the device, the router does not see google.com, it only sees a visit to the VPN server. That’s because the traffic is tunneled through the VPN, and the VPN brings back google.com. For these devices, the router can only allow connection or disallow connection. As a result, you only need one calendar without domains list.

For devices not going through the VPN, you can configure allowed & blocked domains and set up domain specific calendars.

It is possible to mix these two types of devices in one profile and make it work, if you list the proper domains. But it’s easier to manage with two separate profiles, one for each type of device.

petestav
    Participant

I understand that, however, if I put the VPN Ip addresses in it’s own schedule, I cannot limit the websites whilst on the VPN. The VPN will do its own limiting to child friendly sites, but I also want to schedule open internet over the protected vpn time vs select sites only and curtain URL’s whilst still going through the VPN and its proxy server.

If I set up a separate calendar and allow the VPN at all times, I will not be able to content filter the websites like I can using a white list.

Apart from adding the VPN IP addresses to my whitelist, what else should I do on the whitelist to ensure the vPN can establish and maintain a connection to the third party proxies? Right now as soon as I use a whitelist, the VPN fails to connect or stay connected.

To simply create a schedule for VPN will not stop that device being used at homework time when we need the Internet for educational websites.

support
    Keymaster

@petestav Just to clarify, are you trying to limit the web sites to educational only for certain time ranges, when the device is connected to a VPN?

petestav
    Participant

Yes that’s right. We are a multi device home. My daughter has an iPhone phone and iPad, plus a school Issued laptop and personal laptop. So i am limiting all websites via this router to only a whitelist that I build myself of her educational sites during certain hours for study. The IOS devices are registered to a VPN service issued by the school which also does content filtering and scheduling. I need this as my daughter will simply switch to mobile data during schoolwork time and I use the VPN to schedule study time as well.

The VPN scheduling tool isn’t as powerful as the pcWRT so I can’t get them to work quite perfectly together so ideally, I would like the VPN to always stay connected but still limit the sites accessible from the iOS device to the VPN whilst it’s sitting on wifi on the pcWRT

support
    Keymaster

@petestav This is what I’ve been trying to tell you: when the iOS devices are on the VPN, the pcWRT router cannot limit the web sites they have access to. You may enter a white list for these devices on the router, but when they get on the VPN, but the white list has no effect. Right now the white list is blocking the VPN, but even if you get it to work, it will not have the desired effect.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.