Forums

Home Forums Parental Control Allowing gmail / outlook / facebook messenger on iphone

Allowing gmail / outlook / facebook messenger on iphone

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rcstanley
    Participant

I block my internet access at night, but I want my email (gmail and outlook) and facebook messenger to still receive updates and for the iphone to be able to receive its updates.

This is what I currently have:
    google.com
    apple.com
    itunes.com
    outlook.com
    mail.me.com
    facebook.net
    facebook.com
    gmail.com
    hotmail.com
    fbcdn.com
    live.com

But every morning I have a pop up on my phone complaining that it couldn’t find the password for my gmail or outlook. Facebook messenger gets the push notifications, but won’t display the messages. Any ideas on how to get this to work?

support
    Keymaster

How was this set up? With a Calendar? Where were the domains listed?

rcstanley
    Participant

It was set up in the calendar. I have one calendar that has full internet access from 6:30 am – 9:30 pm. I have a second calendar (with the urls listed above) that is supposed to allow the email / calendar / messenger traffic through all the time (12:00 am – 12:00 am).

support
    Keymaster

That is the right way to do it, and the list of domains seem sufficient. Maybe, add fbcdn.net to the list?

But I don’t see how the Calendar setup can affect your passwords on the phone. Maybe that’s an unrelated problem. To be sure, you can assign the phone to a profile with parental control disabled and see if the problem persists.

rcstanley
    Participant

My main issue is the phone complaining about the email password for multiple email accounts every morning. I’m missing a domain somewhere, maybe something apple uses when it’s checking mail? My guess is that it’s checking credentials somehow, the pcwrt is denying the request, and the phone is interpreting the problem as the password failed. I was just hoping to figure out which domain it is.

I’ll try switching it to an account that has parental controls disabled, but I’m pretty sure the problem will go away.

support
    Keymaster

Would adding icloud.com help?

rcstanley
    Participant

Once I assigned the phone to a profile with parental control disabled, the problem went away. Once I put my phone back in its old rule set, the problem came back. Adding icloud.com didn’t help. I may just have to wait until the pcwrt has logging so I can see what server it’s trying to access 🙂

When a calendar rule is set 12:00 am – 12:00 am, is there an instant where those rules are turned off? If so, I’m wondering if there’s a time when my rules are turned off and my phone just likes to check during that time.

support
    Keymaster

When a calendar rule is set 12:00 am – 12:00 am, there’s no gap.

Yeah, it’s probably better to see what’s blocked than to keep guessing. We hope to bring in this functionality ASAP!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.