Forums

Home Forums Device Setup (printers, IP phones etc.) Are laptops devices?

Are laptops devices?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ksmichael
    Participant

I would like to apply Parental and Profile controls (white lists, calendars, etc.) differently for three laptops I have in the home. Unfortunately, none of our laptops appear on the Connected Device status page. The wireless network is recognized and connects to my laptops (internet works). The desktop also connects to the wireless network, but it lists on the Connected Device status page. Two laptops run Window 10, one runs Windows 7 (probably not relevant). I have connected other devices, including two TVs, and they list on the status page. I also shut down and pulled the power cord on my desktop, to see if the laptops were somehow gaining access to the internet through a network or the WiFi card on the computer. The desktop delisted from the status page, but the laptops still had WiFi and internet connections.

support
    Keymaster

Yes. Laptops are no different than desktops or tablets. They should display in the Status page.

Do you have two WiFi signals in your house? I.e., one from pcWRT and another from an ISP provided router? If you do, the laptops might be accidentally connected to the other WiFi.

If the devices are indeed connected to the pcWRT WiFi but not displaying in the Status page, you may use the Network Settings page to assign names to devices. Click the Add button in the Hostnames and Static Leases section. In the popup dialog, click the Name drop down. If you can’t guess the device from the displayed name, pick a device from the Name drop down and try to match by IP address. After you set the device names, click Save at the bottom of the Network Settings page.

To find the IP address of a laptop: open a browser, then enter http://192.168.10.1/myip.html into the address bar.

Ksmichael
    Participant

I clicked on “Add” under the Hostnames and Static Leases section and used the drop-down under the Names line. It took a while to sort each item using the IP address, but I managed to identify and rename the items associated with the three laptops. NOTE: After renaming the item and clicking on “OK” scroll to the bottom of the Network Settings page and click on “SAVE.”
    While none of the laptops list under Connected Devices, they can be selected under the Profiles sections, which is what I needed.
    Thank you.

also of note: Quickest way to find IP addresses (even with a bugged-out Windows 10), get Command Prompt (right click on Windows Button & select Command Prompt) then type in ipconfig Look for the string of numbers that looks like XXX.XXX.XX.XXX to the right of a title with IP in it (mine was IPv4 Address). Only the last three numbers were different from the root IP for all my devices.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Ksmichael.
    support
    Keymaster

@Ksmichael Thanks for your update! To help us improve the Connected Devices info, would you kindly let us know the brands/models for the laptops that didn’t show up?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.