Forums

Home Forums Device Setup (printers, IP phones etc.) Can I set up my old wifi router as a secondary access point?

Can I set up my old wifi router as a secondary access point?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    abe
    Participant

Hello. I have a Netgear wifi router that I used to use, but it’s about 5 years old and does not have the throughput that this new pcWRT model does. (Nor does it have the parental controls!) However…
    1) The pcWRT does not seem to have adequate signal strength. It’s centrally located in my basement, but the signal quickly diminishes upstairs in my house. Where I had no problem getting wifi using the netgear, I only have 1 bar of wifi strength on my phone in my bedroom. I imagine it will be even worse in my driveway.
    2) So… how to correct signal strength issues?
    3) Or… can I connect the old router, behind the pcWRT, as a wifi access point? Using the pcWRT still as the router? (This would possibly solve the problem I have with my Honeywell wifi thermostat not connecting to the pcWRT as well!)
    Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

As to WiFi strength, sometimes it helps to change the channel and align the antenna in different ways.

And yes, you can use the Netgear as an access point. Devices connected to the Netgear will show up in the pcWRT status page. You can control these devices as if they were connected directly to the pcWRT.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.