Forums

Home Forums Troubleshooting Connection is glitchy

Connection is glitchy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rc_cola
    Participant

We recently got the Newifi and started using it. I like the software and the controls it provides. However, we have noticed that, at times, it seems we have a slow response. Here are some examples:
    1. when we go to a website, once in a while, there is an extended pause before the website loads. It’s a website that we visit on a regular basis so we are familiar with the experience.
    2. When we watched a streaming movie, it paused couple of times during the movie.
    3. Most obvious one is on zoom, where it pauses for a split second frequently, couple of times a minute.

We have multiple devices attached and we seem to have this issue with all of them. One of the device is in same space without any walls between itself and the router. Signal strength is from -70 to -75 and. I’ve tried changing dns servers from clourdflare, opendns to our ISP dns server. I’ve tried change access control from having Safe Search, Block proxy and Enforce Access Control to having none of them checked. I’m still seeing the issue.

Any suggestions?

support
    Keymaster

What’s your firmware version on the lower right corner of the router management page?

rc_cola
    Participant

It is Newifi-D2 v2.2.2

support
    Keymaster

@rc_cola There are no known problems with respect to network performance for this version. Did you enable DNS over HTTPS? If you did, it might introduce some latency compared to DNS over UDP. But usually it only affects the first time you access a site.

Are there any patterns to the network glitches? Do the devices lose connection at the same time? Does it affect both 5GHz and 2.4GHz WiFi bands?

rc_cola
    Participant

I did not enable DNS over HTTPS. I was using DNS settings from access control and not from internet settings, at least initially. I did try using internet settings for DNS and using system default setting in access control. I tried changing the bandwidth setting.
    It happens with both 5 and 2.4 GHz. If there is a pattern I’ve yet to find it. And since I need a stable connection during the week I couldn’t test it until this weekend.
    There is one other thing I noticed but since I wasn’t really paying attention I’m not sure how accurate it is. When I switched back to your router, I initially did a test of video conferencing (using jitsi) and it seemed to be fine. Other members of family used Zoom. Initially they didn’t notice but over time, it seemed to become progressively worse (more frequent pauses).

moral
    Participant

I also have experienced similar instability. After upgrading to the Newifi hardware the stability seemed a bit better but the lag and pauses for websites and streaming are still present (not present with a different router). I’ve also tried all different settings with no real difference and oddly it is inconsistent, sometimes there is no lag sometimes the lag is bad to where things do not load at all.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for your feedback. Do you have a wired device to compare with? That would help us to identify whether it’s a WiFi problem or a network problem. Another option is to use your other router as the Access Point, turn off the WiFi on the pcWRT and see if that makes any difference.

moral
    Participant

I’ll try wired speed and other router this weekend and report back.

Ramazanpour69
    Participant

It Seems Send and Receice Buffer is too low on the router

support
    Keymaster

You can add this line to /etc/sysctl.conf to increase the number:

net.ipv4.udp_mem=11850 15801 23700

Ramazanpour69
    Participant

There is no any file on your address.

It show me this:

Defaults are configured in /etc/sysctl.d/* and can be customized in this file

what is edit command and where is the sysctl file?

support
    Keymaster

Looks like you are not familiar with the Linux shell. It is advised that you keep the default settings. But if you still want to do it, try:

echo net.ipv4.udp_mem=11850 15801 23700 >> /etc/sysctl.conf

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.