Forums

Home Forums General Configuration Disable DHCP?

Disable DHCP?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ClarkJeff
    Participant

Is there a way to disable DHCP on this router?

I looked through the menus and didn’t see anything.

I installed TORONTO-N v1.20 and didn’t see anything.

If not, is there a way to flash it with some other DD-WRT image that does support that feature?

Thanks.

support
    Keymaster

There’s no way to disable DHCP on this router, since it’s required for the parental control functions. What’s your network configuration and what are you trying to achieve?

ClarkJeff
    Participant

I now have a Frontier modem and a Cisco/Linksys EA4500 router, so would just like to set up the pcWRT as a wired repeater.

I don’t need the Parental Control anymore and I would continue to use the EA4500’s DHCP.

Since I didn’t see any settings, I suspected that I was not able to disable it.

However, if I can flash different firmware on it, I know there are some versions that allows the repeater setup.

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Understood. The router works with OpenWrt, but there’s no known DD-WRT firmware that works. Are you comfortable with command line interface?

ClarkJeff
    Participant

I’m in IT, so am sure I can figure out whatever suggestions you have. Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Here’s what you can do:

1. Connect the pcWRT router by Ethernet cable to a PC.
    2. Log in the router console, disable parental control and Save.
    3. Go to the Network page, change the LAN IP address to one in your Linksys LAN range. I.e., if your Linksys has 192.168.1.1, assign 192.168.1.10 to the pcWRT LAN. The router will reboot after you Save.
    4. SSH to the pcWRT router (IP address 192.168.1.10 if using above IP address). Login with root and your router password. You can use putty if you don’t have a preferred SSH client.
    5. In shell, enter ‘/etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop;/etc/init.d/dnsmasq disable’ (without quotes). Then exit shell.

When you connect the pcWRT to the Linksys, connect a LAN port on the pcWRT to a LAN port on the Linksys. Devices connecting to the pcWRT via DHCP will then get IP addresses from the Linksys.

ClarkJeff
    Participant

I finally had a chance to try this to disable the DHCP and set up the router as a repeater.

It appears to be working great now!

I appreciate your help in getting this set up.

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.