Forums

Home Forums Parental Control Enforce Safe Search for Everyone

Enforce Safe Search for Everyone

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    markpenn2020
    Participant

I would like to enforce Safe Search for all devices, even if they are in a profile where access control is disabled. Given pcWRT uses OpenWRT DNA, I modified the dnsmasq.conf file to include CNAMEs for forcing Google safe search as follows:
    # force google safesearch
    host-record=forcesafesearch.google.com,216.239.38.120
    cname=www.google.com,forcesafesearch.google.com

When I restart dnsmasq, I get the following failure:
    root@pcwrt:/etc# ./init.d/dnsmasq restart
    Failed to parse json data: unexpected character
    udhcpc: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device

So, I reverted to the backup dnsmasq.conf that shipped with pcWRT. I get the same error, so I am wondering if that error exists in pcWRT out of the box?

If you have other ideas to enforce safe search for non-access controlled devices, I would love to hear them. You can enable ad-block for non controlled, so perhaps you can do the same to enforce safe search.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for bringing the error message to our attention. We’ll look into that.

Good idea to separate safe search from Access Control. We’ll see how that can be accomplished. It’s not a simple modification of dnsmasq config. But overall, when Access Control is disabled, the router does not enforce anything, even for adblock. With Access Control disabled, DNS settings on the device override that on the router. But as long as router DNS is used, the settings on the router take effect.

markpenn2020
    Participant

Any updates on enabling safe search for everyone?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.