Forums

Home Forums General Configuration Filter Not Working

Filter Not Working

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GarciaFab4
    Participant

Hello,

I have gone through the general setup using the pcWRT as a slave to another router. That router supplies DHCP as well, so all of my kids’ devices that I connect to the new pcWRT-hosted SSID are getting IPs from the main router. I have added a new profile, and added the kids’ devices to that profile. I then tested the search but bad content stills shows up using google or bing, and I can click through on them. Have I set something up wrong?

support
    Keymaster

Kid’s devices should get IP addresses from pcWRT instead of the main router. Do the main/slave routers provide separate IP ranges? For example, if the main router has IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.xxx, then the pcWRT should give out IP addresses in the different subnet, for example the default 192.168.10.xxx range.

GarciaFab4
    Participant

If I set these up on different subnets, how will the devices get Internet access? Also, will those devices have access to other devices on the other subnet, such as the printer?

support
    Keymaster

The devices connected to the pcWRT subnet will reach to the Internet in two hops: device -> pcWRT -> main router.

If you have an IP printer connected to the main router, it can be reached by devices on the pcWRT subnet by IP address, for example, 192.168.1.101. However, if you blocked “literal IP address” in the profile, the printer cannot be reached because it’s by IP address. You can either turn off “Block literal IP address” or add a Host name in the System Settings (add a line after the “127.0.0.1 localhost” entry, for example, “192.168.1.101 printer”).

GarciaFab4
    Participant

Sorry, this did not work. I gave the pcWRT a different subnet and it rebooted. When it came back up and my computer connected, it got an IP from the main router. This made it so that there was no internet connection, and I could not browse to the pcWRT either.

support
    Keymaster

Here are some things to check:
    1. Your main router and pcWRT have different SSIDs, right? I’m guessing yes, but asking just to cover all possibilities.
    2. Your computer is using DHCP, not static IP address, right?
    3. Is your computer connected by wire or via wireless? If you are connected by wire, you might need to disconnect the cable and reconnect to get a new IP address.
    4. You may try to renew the IP address. Here’s how on Windows: https://wiki.csuchico.edu/confluence/display/help/Release+and+Renew+an+IP+address+in+Windows+7
    5. If everything fails, disconnect pcWRT from the main router, then connect your computer to pcWRT. Do you still get IP address from your main router subnet?

Mrbojangals
    Participant

I am having a problem filtering wired devices. All my wireless devices are being properly filtered. Any suggestions?

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

The router identifies the devices by MAC addresses, therefore, it doesn’t matter whether you are connecting via wireless or wired. However, if you have a device that can be connected either via wifi or wired, it’s considered as two devices by the router. Because the MAC addresses are different for wired and wireless. I’d suggest that you connect both ways and give it two names, for example, “mypc-wired” and “mypc-wifi”.

Mrbojangals
    Participant

Yes that worked! Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.