Forums

Home Forums Troubleshooting Frequent/Regular Internet Connection Resets

Frequent/Regular Internet Connection Resets

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fm904
    Participant

I have had a pcwrt router since December of 2022. I got it while running Linux Mint and switched to POP OS just after the router arrived. It was fine in both. I found that Pop was sometimes slow to find the router but overall things have been fine.

I got the firmware update and then the regression for my model. I don’t recall any issues.

In the last two months or so I started having Internet connection issues that were hard to diagnose because of ISP upgrades,OS upgrades and bugs in online games.

I ruled out games because this also happened when just using Firefox. I checked with my ISP and their logs showed no interruptions to my residence during several lost connections.

That leaves networkmanager on in linux and my router.

Examples:
    Nov 14 05:42:30 pop-os avahi-daemon[720]: Withdrawing address record for 192.168.10.171 on enp16s0.
    Nov 14 05:42:30 pop-os NetworkManager[989]: <warn> [1699969350.9605] device (xxxx) (edit): Activation: failed for connection ‘Wired connection 1’
    Then logs show connecting and things go back to normal. This lasts five to ten seconds.Sometimes i can’t even try a ping test.I have to relog into games and websites.

MY questions: 1. Could the router dns “leases” be the cause of the issue? ie – router resets the dns lease and networkmanager notices and logs issue.
    2. Would a router reset fix the problem or have no effect?

The two suggestions after ruling out ISP are reset router and bypass router.

3. The lease was set to 12 hours. I reset it to 72 but I am online a lot so that may not be enough – Currently I only use a wired connection.

i have noticed a few odd issues with my router. Even though I reset the lease to 72 I am losing connection around 12 – 24 hours. Also I have no ping selected and on my last shields up it said I didn’t have it set. I wonder if my changes are not being saved.

thx, Fm

support
    Keymaster

DNS lease time should not matter. It’s always been 12 hours and you didn’t have any problems before.

1. How often does this happen? Does it happen on a regular interval, e.g., every 12 hours?
    2. Does it happen to other devices or only the Linux computer?
    3. Does it happen to devices connected via WiFi?

Fm904
    Participant

1. Approximately every 12 hours usually – i have noticed shorter periods and wonder if a lease period is based on accumulated online hours. So if I played an online game for 5-6 hours or longer then the reset would come sooner than if I just surfed the net for a few minutes a day. i am still learning about DNS, etc.

2. No other devices are connected to the network.
    3. No devices use WIFI. Computer uses wired network and all WIFI settings are off on router and computer. I may be able to test WIFI in to future but can’t at the moment.

support
    Keymaster

When you lose connectivity, the computer tries to reconnect immediately and regains connectivity after a few seconds?

Fm904
    Participant

Yes, It may take me a moment to sign out of a game or but if in I’m in email or Firefox I can ping my ISP and get an “unavailable” signal but if I tried to type in a url to ping the connection has reset. In logs the disconnect seems to last 1-2 seconds.

bolozinaction
    Participant

isolation test?

support
    Keymaster

It’s hard to say what’s going on here. Can you try a different device? If not, try a different Ethernet port or cable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.