Forums

Home Forums General Configuration How to use wired APs?

How to use wired APs?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ss7793
    Participant

I am in the process of setting up a home network using the WRT1900ACS with pcWRT, and I have two wired TP-Link EAP245 Access Points that I need for extending range.
    I need multiple VLANs for separating mixed wired and wireless IoT, Entertainment, Guest, and Private devices. The EAP245 APs provide for VLAN support.
    Into my WRT1900ACS I will have an Entertainment LAN, a Private LAN (for my PCs and servers), and the two EAP245 wired APs.
    I could use the WRT1900ACS wifi, or disable and use only the wifi on the EAP APs. However, I need 5 SSIDs to address my VLAN needs.
    This seems complex, and I am not sure how to make use of the wired Access Points and still have all the VLAN capability and isolation features built in to pcWRT.
    What is the best way to use the APs? I really only need them for range extension purposes.

support
    Keymaster

The router supports 4 SSIDs per band. To support 5 SSIDs, at least one SSID is only available in one band.

To use VLANs on your APs, just mark the LAN port the AP connects to “Tagged” (on the Network Settings page). Then assign VLAN IDs to the SSIDs broadcasted by the APs.

The pcWRT router comes with 5 per-configured VLANs, the VLAN ids are:
    LAN: 1
    Guest: 3
    X1: 4
    X2: 5
    X3: 6

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.