Forums

Home Forums Troubleshooting Missing apps?

Missing apps?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wfroech
    Participant

Hello

I am resident of EU (Austria) and ordered a PW-Ax1800 from USA via Amazon.com (reseller in Texas).
    Installed firmware as of mangement page – bottom right – pcWRT PW-AX1800 2.5.9 – This seems to be the latest, though froums – announcment only lists 2.5.8.

When I enter the website (192.168.10.1) the icons for Access control (I assume that parental control is behind this icon) and Bandwidth Monitoring are missing from settings page.

The text on https://www.pcwrt.com/manage says:
    “We can’t find a router associated with your account. If you have a pcWRT router, you can enable cloud management in the Cloud Settings page.”
    But there is no “cloud Settings” icon/page, neither on “Settings”, nor on “Apps”.

On “Settings => System” page the Auto-update button seems to be missing.

Is there a way to disable the built in DHCP-server on page “Network settings”?
    I tried to set DHCP-Limit to 0, but I am not sure whether this disables the dhcp-server or not.

What could be the reason, how to get these parts enabled?
    Shall I step back to 2.5.8?

Thanks for response in advance.

Wolfgang

support
    Keymaster

The Cloud icons etc do not show until an Internet connection is detected. If your router is connected to the Internet but the icons still don’t show, try rebooting it once.

wfroech
    Participant

Hello
    Thanks for quick response.
    Internet connection established, icons are present.
    ~
    When I follow __strictly__ the setup description (ie: boot router, plugin wan side, wait a little bit, plugin pc in lan side) … then it works.
    The router seems doing some magic when first upstream connection is detected.
    I did manual steps (see below) w/o success.
    PC has 192.168.10.205, yet I can ping 10.0.0.x – rest of my network, so it does some internal setup, routing, bridging, whatever.
    Then I also can change router ports to 10.0.0.x. and it’s fine.

It also works when I plugin WAN side to any LAN port of another router.
    Got internet connection. Only problem: my network is on 10.0.0.x but router seems still to be on 192.168.10.1.
    So I plugged in a USB/LAN adapter and connected/wired to the LAN port of the pcwrt….
    Connection established. Settings page is available.
    To check, I plugged out the other lan via built in card.
    Still can access internet, also lan/10.0.0.x via the pcwrt connection.
    So that’s working fine.
    But without having a second card it would have been hard, I guess.

~

Yet, my Story goes on with manual setup – I learn networking 🙂

I tried to achieve same result with manual configuration.
    – Local set-up: PC wired to LAN port/Synology router/WAN port wired to Lan port/modem/VDSL2 => wired to ISP. Modem does DHCP. Wifi not used here.
    Pcwt should experimentally replace Synology router, ie directly wired to modem
    Start the router w/o internet connection, plugin PC, got 192.168.10.xx,
    enter data in Internet and Network settings which I copied from working setup.
    plugin wan side … wired to modem directly.
    hhm .. no chance. Tried different settings on “Internet settings” page.
    DHCP client, Static address (10.0.0.x) … nop.

During some of my trials it obviously connected to the internet – the icons were there – but I could not ping 10.0.0.x devices.
    Unfortunately I did not record my steps in very detail
    So something I missed, or do not know here, or initial router setup does the magic inside the box.

Maybe you can give me a hint – if it is possible at all via GUI?

thanks.
    Wolfgang

support
    Keymaster

Try this and see what happens:
    1. Select “DHCP client” on the Internet Settings page for the pcWRT router.
    2. Connect the pcWRT WAN port to a LAN port on the VDSL2 modem.
    3. Connect your PC to a LAN port on the pcWRT.
    4. Your PC should receive an IP address in the 192.168.10.x range.
    5. Log in the pcWRT router and check the Status page. Does the pcWRT router get an IP address from the VDSL2 modem?

wfroech
    Participant

yes, it does.

support
    Keymaster

So the router should work properly connected this way, right?

wfroech
    Participant

Hello.
    Yes, it does.
    I was playing around a little and maybe found the “problem” (if it is one at all 🙂 ) in my setup.
    I have to verify this and’ll come back.

best rgards.

wfroech
    Participant

Router is working correctly.
    Status page says: Gets IP from modem.
    my PC is connected with 192.x address.
    ~~

What I was playing around is to put the “WAN”/modem side and the LAN into the same network, namely 10.0.0.0/24.
    It seems that this is not possible with the current software, or is it?
    When I use eg 10.0.10.0/24, then it is working fine, any other I assume to work as well.
    I can ping the modem (10.0.0.1), ping internet locations. No way when same network is set.
    The WAN side is in both cases (same nw/different nw) set to DHCP client mode, with no other flags checked.
    The DHCP of the pcwrt is in both cases set to start at 201 with 3 addresses free.
    Is this setup weired? Wrong? only unusual?
    I mean, is it necessary to have different networks on the two sides? Security hole?
    From outside (portscan with other tools against my modem) nothing is visible or accessible – I have checked several times.
    ~
    Finally – it is not necessary to run the LAN with this setup.
    It’s my choice (10.x addresses are less writing effort actually), but somehow it is puzzling me 🙂

thanks for your time and patience.

support
    Keymaster

LAN and WAN must be different networks, that’s how the router knows it needs to “route” the traffic. You can use the 10.0.x.x range but they must be different networks. For example, you can use 10.0.0.0/24 for one side, 10.0.10.0/24 for the other side.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.