Forums

Home Forums Parental Control Parent Control Disabled – Issue

Parent Control Disabled – Issue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mbrink44
    Participant

I enable and save. Next morning when I check settings Parent control is disabled. Its has been happening since the last update. No one in the house has access to this router setting but me. It is being disabled automatically overnight.. happens throughout the day as well.

support
    Keymaster

@mbrink44 Can you check whether the settings are actually saved? After saving the settings, go to another page (the Status page, for example), then come back to the Parental Control page again.

mbrink44
    Participant

Yes. Confirmed they are saved. I also tried a different browser IE vs Chrome.. thinking maybe cache issue.. but no success.. continues to disable on it’s own..

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by mbrink44. Reason: checking notify me
    mbrink44
    Participant

I just enabled the default profile as well and saved it.. lets see if that works..

mbrink44
    Participant

Nope that didn’t work. hour later.. I log back in and its disabled again..

support
    Keymaster

Hmm…That’s really strange. What’s your hardware model?

When you find a good time spot, can you try resetting the router and start from scratch? You may want to create a backup before doing that. You can restore the backup after testing is done.

mbrink44
    Participant

I reset it to factory settings. Seems to have done the trick. Has kept it enabled for a few hours now. wont know for sure till tested overnight..

mbrink44
    Participant

Back from vacation.. checking again.. Parent control disabled again. Any other suggestions?

support
    Keymaster

@mbrink44 Please send email to [email protected]. We’ll look at more details.

mbrink44
    Participant

It’s happening again! .. been fine for a month or so.. now parent controls are turning off by its self again..

support
    Keymaster

As discussed before, you can do two tests.

Test 1: Save your parental control settings. Log out and log back in. Check the parental control settings. Do they remain intact?

Test 2: If the settings did not change in the above test, reboot the router. Log in and check the settings again. Do they remain intact?

If for both tests the settings remain unchanged, but the settings are changing by themselves again, then most likely someone is going in there to manually change the settings.

To reduce the number of ways the settings can be changed and identify the root cause:
    1. Disable remote control: in Cloud Settings, uncheck “Enable Remote Management” and save.
    2. In System Settings, under the Administration section, click “Change Router Password” to change the router management password.

You should do the above two steps from a device that is used exclusively by you, and access the router management pages via HTTPS. I.e., use https://pcwrt/, or https://192.168.10.1/. You’ll get a warning when you first load the page, just ignore the warning and move ahead.

After you do the above, log in periodically to check the settings. Again, only from a device that is used exclusively by you, and via HTTPS.

mbrink44
    Participant

You guys arent doing anything on your end? After I posted this happening again and you replied.. It now is fine… I tried all the tests before I posted.. I would enable/save, log out then log back in 5-10 min and the setting would be off again.. also even within the same session.. I’d enable then save, then move to status, then back to parent control it would sometime still be enabled and sometimes not..

After I posted and you replied.. its not happening any more… very odd if you guys arent doing anything on your end..

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by mbrink44.
    support
    Keymaster

We didn’t do anything on our side. The router can only be managed from your local network, or remotely by logging in with your pcwrt.com user ID.

If you disabled remote control, then the router can only be managed from the local network.

Please follow our advices on disabling remote control, changing the password, and logging on via HTTPS only. Keep an eye on the settings and see if they change again.

mbrink44
    Participant

Hi… did as you suggested.. disabled remote control and changed password… it’s not disabling by it’s self any longer.. My 12 year old must of found a way to disable it from his computer from the internet, i guess… now can only manage via LAN.. getting to it via the ip…. any ideas how he is disabling, beside him finding out the password? or is him having the password the only way he could be disabling it?

support
    Keymaster

He’ll need to log in with your credentials to change the settings remotely too. There are multiple ways he can get hold of your credentials. For example, if you forgot to log out, or if you use the same password for other things and the password of which he has knowledge of. Maybe you wrote down the password on a piece of paper, or saved it in your browser where he can take a peek when you stepped away without logging out from the computer. There are more technical ways also, such as packet sniffing on the network. The most imaginative I heard of was the kid installed a video camera on the wall so that he can watch the parent typing the password when logging on his computer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.