Forums

Home Forums Parental Control Peer to peer

Peer to peer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    docnific
    Participant

How can I block peer to peer traffic with pcwrt? I know it can be done using opendns but was wondering if there is a way to do that at the router level in case someone installs a program that allows peer to peer?

support
    Keymaster

I think OpenDNS only blocks the web sites that distribute P2P software and information (such as torrent seeds). It doesn’t block P2P traffic. Since peers connect to each other by using IP addresses directly, checking the “Block literal IP addresses” box should block such traffic. Some BT clients depend on port forwarding or UPnP, so disabling UPnP should do the trick. For other BT clients, you might want to check the “Block Proxy, VPN, TOR” box.

support
    Keymaster

I want to add that Skype is also P2P. So are IP phones such as Vonage, Ooma, Obihai etc. If you have any of these devices, you might want to create a dedicated profile for them and turn off parental control for the profile.

SnowGator
    Participant

Are there directions anywhere on how to create a dedicated profile for something like Skype? We are having issues where my teenage son is unable to Skype or FaceTime since installation of this router unless his device is put into a profile without parental control. I’ve gone through all the troubleshooting steps I can find in these forums. I’d like for him to be able to Skype and FaceTime.

support
    Keymaster

@SnowGator Turning off “Block literal IP addresses” and “Block proxy, VPN, TOR” on the profile will make Skype work. If you are using OpenDNS, make sure you that are not blocking the Chat category.

SnowGator
    Participant

I’m using the Open DNS Family Shield that is in the drop down box. I don’t see where to enable or disable chat. We are also periodically having issues with our two older routers that are set up as access points in far corners of our house…they’ve been working flawlessly until the switch to PCWrt so I must be doing something wrong in the setup…

support
    Keymaster

OpenDNS Family Shield does not block chat, so in theory disabling the two options mentioned above should make Skype work. What problems are you having with Skype? Did you have trouble logging in? What happens when you try to run the Skpye test service?

What kind of problems are you having with the access points? Are the access points connected via wire or wireless?

Dan
    Participant

In reference to the talk of Skype not working, I too was experiencing this. The suggested fix, turning off “Block proxy, VPN, TOR”, worked to fix that. However, I wonder whether it would be reasonable to make a request that these options are divided into separate check-boxes?

While I do want my household to have access to Skype, I don’t want them to have access to proxies… Is this a feasible request? Or is there at least a good (simple) work around to achieve this?

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for asking. We’ll see if there’s a way to distinguish Skype traffic from VPN/proxy traffic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.