Forums

Home Forums General Configuration Pi-hole setup with pcWRT

Pi-hole setup with pcWRT

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    pcwrt77
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m trying to configure a Raspberry Pi running Pi-hole as the network DNS server for my router running pcWRT with the Premium firmware.

The trouble is that after I change the IP address of the DNS server in pcWRT, it doesn’t seem to work – no devices can resolve DNS to get to the internet and there are no queries showing up in Pi-hole.

I put the Raspberry Pi’s IP address (192.168.10.105) in as the Custom DNS server under “Use custom DNS servers” on the Setting->Internet page. I don’t have DoH checked, and I do have “Use random MAC address checked” (in the hopes that it will help with anonymity and privacy a little bit, but maybe I should uncheck that, I’m not sure).

On the Default profile in Access Control I set the DNS Servers setting to be “System Default”. I have “Enforce Access Control” checked, as well. No calendars are set up.

Otherwise my configuration is pretty standard, I just set it all up a few days ago. So far the pcWRT router has been fine (TP-Link Archer C7 v2) and things have been working great, other than this DNS issue.

Status page configs details are:
    Address: 192.168.0.16
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Not sure what I’m doing wrong, please help!

Thanks.

support
    Keymaster

You haven’t done anything wrong. Currently the router sends DNS queries out on the WAN side but your pi-hole is on the LAN side. Therefore, you’re not seeing anything on the pi-hole. We’ll see if this setup can be accommodated in a future update.

pcwrt77
    Participant

Ah, okay. Well, would I be able to flash my router back to the original TP-Link firmware for now? Can I just upload the TP-Link firmware via the pcWRT firmware update page with “Manual Update” selected?

I think I have the correct file from here https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/archer-c7/v2/#Firmware, which is Archer C7(CA)_V2_180305.zip.

Thanks.

pcwrt77
    Participant

Or, is it possible to flash my router firmware from pcWRT over to OpenWRT by using the pcWRT firmware update page?

support
    Keymaster

You may try ssh to the router and use mtd to flash OpenWrt. E.g., if you upload the OpenWrt image as /tmp/firmware.bin, then “mtd -r write /tmp/firmware.bin firmware” should work.

Alternatively, you can use the TFTP method mentioned here: https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer_c7#installation_or_restore_with_tftp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.