Forums

Home Forums Troubleshooting Random Restarts

Random Restarts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    markpenn2020
    Participant

I am using a pcWRT 802.11N router with the latest firmware. I’ve been using it for years, with very few issues, and we like the control it provides. About two months or so ago, I started to notice strange behavior, where the internet would drop during the day. In the past week, it will not stay connected more than 30 seconds. The uptime is fine, it is the connected time on the status page, that rarely goes above 30 seconds. When I bypass pcWRT, all is well and stable. I tried randomizing the MAC address as one reply suggested, but no dice.

I’m thinking the hardware may just be done as I’ve had this for a while. However, I don’t want to buy the 802.11AC as I’ve seen reports of instability with that one as well.

Thoughts?

support
    Keymaster

@markpenn2020 Do you have a static IP address or DHCP on the Internet connection?

markpenn2020
    Participant

Interesting. I had it DHCP for the longest time, but then changed it to static while I was doing other changes to the network. Those changes coincide with the issues I’ve had. I just changed it back to DHCP, and it has held connection for the past 5 minutes. I wonder why that would make a difference? The static IP I chose, I know for certain was not a duplicate on the network. I’ll run it this way for a while and observe. Thank you,

markpenn2020
    Participant

Never mind. DHCP and static have the same results. Connect for short periods and then drop.

support
    Keymaster

@markpenn2020 I’m guessing it reconnects after being disconnected? It might be a configuration issue instead of a hardware issue if the disconnect/reconnect happens on a more or less regular schedule. My guess is, if it’s a hardware issue, the problem would happen more sporadically (or fail to work at all).

BTW, so far the AC model had connectivity problems reported only when it’s connected to an Arris cable modem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.