Forums

Home Forums General Configuration Router Won't Reacquire IP from Cable Modem

Router Won't Reacquire IP from Cable Modem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CaptainDad
    Participant

I recently installed an Archer C7 pcWRT device as my primary home router. Setup is going well, but everytime I reboot it I lose internet access. It looks like the router is not reacquiring an IP address from my cable modem after reboot. When I reboot the pcWRT router, my WAN link shows “down” on the Status screen. After I reset my cable modem it acquires an IP address and all is well.

I used DHCP for my WAN link before and have setup the Archer with the same. Is there something else I can try?

Hardware:
    TP-Link Archer C7 with pcWRT (configured for DHCP in Internet Settings)
    Arris cable modem TM1602

support
    Keymaster

Instead of rebooting your Arris cable modem, can you try unplugging the WAN Ethernet cable and reconnect? Let us know if that works. That helps us to understand the nature of the problem.

CaptainDad
    Participant

Yes, if I unplug the WAN Ethernet cable and reconnect it, the router gets an IP and everything works.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks! We should be able to come up with an update to fix this in the next few days.

CaptainDad
    Participant

Was this included with the latest C7 firmware update? I’ve had to reboot my pcWRT router a couple of times since upgrading but it did not acquire an IP from the cable modem until I unplugged and reconnected the cable.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for letting us know. This was supposed to be in the last update, but we missed it. It will be in the next update.

CaptainDad
    Participant

I really like the new 1.25 update, the logging is great!

I had to reboot my router after the update was applied but it did not acquire an IP address from my cable modem. Did that fix make it into this update? If so I can reboot the router again this evening to try.

support
    Keymaster

@CaptainDad Yes the fix is in. Please let us know if that solves your problem. You might need to wait for a couple of minutes before checking Internet status.

CaptainDad
    Participant

I had to reboot a couple of time last night but the router never received an IP address from my ISP until I unplugged the WAN cable and plugged it back in. Should that still be happening? Is there something else I could try?

support
    Keymaster

That’s very strange. We had code in there that checks WAN status, and when it’s down, restart the WAN interface. That’s the software equivalent of unplugging and re-plugging the cable. Did you check the Status page for the WAN state? What’s the model of your cable modem?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.