Forums

Home Forums Miscellaneous Using PcWRT on a Domain

Using PcWRT on a Domain

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    [email protected]
    Participant

I have a domain setup at home. How do I setup my network so my domain functions properly with the pcwrt router?

Hudy

support
    Keymaster

Not sure I understand what you meant. Are you running a server in house and want it to be visible on the Internet?

[email protected]
    Participant

I’m running a domain at home. I did have my DHCP & DNS running from my DC (domain controller) but with your router, I can’t. Now I’m having authentication issues because DHCP & DNS are in your router.

support
    Keymaster

How many devices are on your network? Are they connected by wire or WiFi? Do kids devices log on the domain?

[email protected]
    Participant

Between the TV’s, laptops, tablets, phones, computers, about 13. Most are connected by WiFi. Kids do NOT logon my domain. My ISP is wireless as my download speed is about 8Mbps. So the router is handling the devices just fine.

support
    Keymaster

For the machines that need domain authentication, you can try to override the DNS server address.

This is the procedure for Windows 7:
    1. Go to Network and Sharing Center
    2. Click the Change Adapter Settings link
    3. Find the Wireless or Ethernet adapter, right click, then select Properties
    4. Highlight TCP/IPv4, then click Properties
    5. In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties dialog, check “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
    6. Enter the IP address of the DC in the Preferred DNS server field.

[email protected]
    Participant

Can you make a change so that the DNS shows and can be changed in the LAN settings? This way I can set it here instead of on each individual computer.

support
    Keymaster

That doesn’t work. You still want the devices under parental control to use the DNS provided by the router.

[email protected]
    Participant

But if you have a field for both the primary and secondary DNS, that would be the same as what you are suggesting.

support
    Keymaster

When a device connects to the router, DNS setting is pushed out to it. The router can push its own IP address, or that of the DC. It can’t send one for some devices, and the other for other devices.

[email protected]
    Participant

So in order for Parental Controls to work, the primary DNS MUST be the router?
    If I have ‘Proxy Login’ turned on, then would it matter if the primary DNS was my DC instead of the router?

support
    Keymaster

For parental controls to work, the device must use the router’s DNS service. When DNS requests go through the router, the router forces the controlled device to use the DNS services set up in the router. But for devices that are authenticated by your DC, you must give the DC the first chance for DNS resolution, because the router doesn’t have any knowledge of the domain configuration.

If you configure your browser to use the authenticating proxy, then all traffic initiated from the browser will use the DNS service provided by the proxy. This may be different from the DNS service used by the system, i.e., when you authenticate at login.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.