If you have a Verizon FiOS router at home, follow these steps to connect the pcWRT router.
- Get out your Ethernet cable.
- Connect one end to a LAN port on the Verizon FiOS router.
- Connect the other end to the WAN port on the pcWRT router.
- Connect the power adapter cable then power on the pcWRT router.
- Follow the initial setup instructions to set up pcWRT.
Notice that at this point you have two options to set up wifi. If you keep the Verizon FiOS wifi running, you’ll have two wifi signals in your home: one from Verizon FiOS, one from pcWRT. Alternatively, you can shutdown the Verizon wifi signal, keeping only the pcWRT wifi.
Our recommendation is to configure the pcWRT wifi such that it’ll have the same SSID and wifi password as your Verizon FiOS router, then turn off the wifi signal on the Verizon FiOS router. This way, you don’t have to reconfigure all your home devices that connect to your home wifi.
Here’s how to turn off wifi for the Verizon FiOS router:
- Open a web browser on a computer connected to the FiOS router. In the address bar, enter: http://192.168.1.1
- Enter user name and password to login the router admin console.
- Click Wireless Settings in the main screen.
- Click Basic Security Settings, then click the Off radio button.
- Click Apply to save the settings.
Last note, in case your PC or device refuse to connect to the new wifi network, you need to forget the saved settings and start afresh. Here’s how to do it on Windows 7: How to forget a wifi network on Windows 7, or Windows 8.