Forums

Home Forums General Configuration vlan setup

vlan setup

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jgatt
    Participant

A new user on pwAX1800 router and not very tech savvy with networking.
    I will be mostly using wired devices as house has ethernet cables routed to all rooms.
    As there are 3 LAN ports does that mean that the maximum wired vlans is 3. Is it possible to configure in any way the maximum 5 vlans on wired devices.
    I tried setting up WG vpn server on the router for my cctv cameras following instructions on this website, but could not get it to work. I now realise that this is probably due to the fact that my pcwrt router sits behind my ISP router (which I have to use and which cannot be put in bridge mode). Are there any instructions on how to do this or even is it possible to setup vpn server in this configuration.

support
    Keymaster

Since there are 3 LAN ports, you can assign each port to a different VLAN for 3 wired VLANs. If you need to have more than 3 VLANs for wired connections, you’ll need to add a VLAN aware switch to the router and tag the Ethernet port connected to the switch.

For the VPN router setup, you can use one of the following options to expose the server port:
    1. Set the pcWRT router as the DMZ host in your ISP router. Here’s an example for the AT&T router: https://www.pcwrt.com/2017/01/configure-att-nvg510-dmzbridge-to-the-pcwrt/
    2. Set up port forwarding on the ISP router for the WireGuard server port. For example, if your WireGuard server runs on UDP port 51820, then set up a port forwarding rule on the ISP router for UDP port 51820.

jgatt
    Participant

Great – VPN server is now working. Thank you.
    Setting DMZ host is seen as a security risk, but in this case as it the router (pcWRT with firewall) being exposed to the internet, it is not a concern. Have I got that right.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by jgatt.
    support
    Keymaster

You’re right.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.