Forums

Home Forums Troubleshooting Windows 11 OpenVPN client can't connect to Newifi-D2 OpenVPN with Scramble Set

Windows 11 OpenVPN client can't connect to Newifi-D2 OpenVPN with Scramble Set

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    trust_in_wrt
    Participant

I followed the instructions here to set up OpenVPN on Newifi router. When I created the user, I selected ISP, not VPN option. Also I did not Bind the Interfaces.

I then installed the Windows 64-bit official OpenVPN client on a Microsoft Windows 11 laptop. The client asked me for username and password. I was able to connect okay and VPN worked.

I then tried to set the scramble option for OpenVPN on the router config page. I created a new config file, restarted the openVPN server, imported the new config file into the client, and tried to connect. I get the error:

Connecting to management interface failed. View Log…

The log says:

Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in pcwrt_scrambled.ovpn:66: scramble (2.5.7)
    Use --help for more information.

This time the client didn’t even ask me for the username or password.
    I checked the .ovpn file. Line 66 was the one that says:

scramble obfuscate scrambled_password_here

Currently my scramble_password has only alpha-numeric characters (no special). I turned off the scramble flag and was able to connect again.

Any suggestions on how to get scramble working?

support
    Keymaster

The official OpenVPN client does not support scramble. You’ll need a client that has the scramble patch (e.g., https://www.tunnelblick.net/cOpenvpn_xorpatch.html). The StrongVPN client supports scramble, not sure if it can be used to connect to your own server.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.