How to set up Windows 7 parental controls
The built-in Windows 7 parental controls tool allows you to do three things:
- Control when a child can use the computer.
- Control games by rating, content or title.
- Allow and block specific programs.
Setting it up is pretty straightforward:
- Launch the Control Panel, click “Set up parental controls for any user”.
- Click on the child account you want to set parental controls on.
- Turn on Parental Controls, set time limits, control games, allow and block programs etc.
As seen in the screenshot below, Windows 7 time limits are very flexible. You can block or allow any time ranges as you want, i.e., multiple time bands within a day, different time ranges each day.
What about web content filtering? Windows 7 does not provide that out-of-the-box. For that you have to install Windows Live Family Safety, part of the Windows Essentials package.
I’ll write about that in a later post.