• How to flash the Torch router with pcWRT

What you need:

1. Download the firmware image from here. MD5 checksum: e2f1bb281dd9f78cd603faf515491548.
    2. A TFTP server. You can use PumpKIN if you don’t have a favorite one. Download the appropriate binary for your operating system.

The steps (using Windows as example below).

1. Configure your Ethernet address: open Windows network center, click “Change adapter settings”. Find the Ethernet adapter and change the IP v4 properties. Set the IP address to 192.168.99.8 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

2. Configure Windows firewall: make sure Windows firewall allows PumpKIN through.
    3. Start PumpKIN, make sure “Server is running” is checked at the lower right corner.
    4. Set PumpKIN TFTP download path. Assume that you downloaded the firmware binary to the “Downloads” folder, then set the PumpKIN download path to the same folder.
    5. Connect your computer to the LAN port on the Torch router.
    6. Press and hold the Reset button on the Torch router (you may need to use a pin), then connect the power cable. Keep holding the Reset button for about 5 seconds, then let go.
    7. The Torch router will try to download firmware from your PC. You’ll see a prompt for you to grant the download in PumpKIN. Click Grant Access.
    8. Wait for about 5 minutes. If you can see the pcwrt and pcwrt_5g WiFi signals, then you’ve successfully flashed the router!

17 Responses so far.

1. danstoner says:

I can confirm that this works!!!!!!

Thank you pcWRT!

I had a little trouble with the tftp part (doing this on my Linux computer) but got it working and wrote down my process here:

Thanks again!

2. PapaPep says:

Works well! I really appreciate it! So far the only think I’ve run into is a message stating that parental controls are not supported on this router.

3. admiraltk says:

Thanks for the info on this. I was just about to throw out the Torch. Now that I have successfully flashed it with pcWRT, I would like to use the Torch as a WAP on my existing network. What settings do I use to turn my pcWRT enabled Torcch into a WAP? Thanks

4. royvella says:

I know this is an old string but does anyone have tips on how to do this via a Mac? Thought I could work it out and it appears that Pumpkin’s putting the bin file onto the router but it’s not flashing it for whatever reason… strange. Thought? Thanks.

• trecowan says:

Just followed the instructions above for my Mac, and was successful in resetting it! I’m not familiar with PCWRT, so I’m now digging around for how to configure my old Torch router.

5. Steve says:

Guest wifi does work but it’s only the 5Ghz network.
    Thanks for the firmware!

6. canman says:

I successfully flashed my Torch router with PCWRT, however, both on WiFi as well as a wired connection, the maximum download speed is 2.5mbps. When I connect directly from my modem to PC I get a consistent 135mbps. Is this normal because it is an alternative firmware? Any suggestions on what I should do to fix this issue?

• pcwrt says:

It’s not normal. The router should be able to deliver close to 1 Gbps wired, if your Internet speed is that high. You may try an isolated test with iperf, or hook it up to a different network and test.

7. ugvenkat says:

canman how did you flash it, I am running into issues, even after flashing, it still shows WIFI has Torch-002-FOK, so it did not take PCWRT.

8. mfaulkner says:

Once the firmware is updated to pc-wrt, are further firmware updates supported?